Cookies: We use cookies to improve your experience on this website. By continuing to browse our website, you are agreeing to use our site cookies. See our cookie policy for more information on cookies and how to manage them.

Privacy: You can see the full details of how we use your data in our Privacy Policy.

Frequently Asked Questions about Bettersafe Travel Insurance


Because the World Health Organisation declared the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak a pandemic on 11th March 2020 this is now a known event. This affects the cover provided by our Travel Insurance policies.

Any policies purchased on or after 17/03/2020 will not include cover under any section whatsoever for claims directly or indirectly caused by the Coronavirus. This includes any preventative containment or delay measures.

For any policies issued before 17/03/2020 cover remains as per the policy terms and conditions. The following advice is for Bettersafe Travel Insurance customers that have purchased a policy from 24 April 2019 to 17 March 2020 and relates to travel insurance policies underwritten by Ageas Insurance.


Travel Insurance Advice for Customers Affected by Coronavirus for policies issued before 17th March 2020

Am I covered if I catch Coronavirus in the UK and need to cancel my holiday?

Yes, you are covered under the cancellation and curtailment section for cancellation of your trip if, after you have purchased your policy, you test positive for Coronavirus and you are advised not to travel by your GP or Doctor.

Your policy will pay you up to the amount shown in the summary of cover for the unused portion of your travel and accommodation costs that you have paid or contracted to pay and you suffer a financial loss because you cannot get a full refund if you cancel before the start of your trip or cut your trip short and return home early during the period of insurance because of the following:

• the death, bodily injury, illness or being subject to quarantine of you, a close relative or any person you have arranged to travel or stay with during your trip;’

Am I insured if I travel against the advice of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO)?

None of the policies underwritten by Ageas will provide any cover if you decide to travel against the advice of the FCO. This would be for ‘All Travel’ and ‘All but Essential Travel’.

If the area is classified as ‘All but Essential Travel’ and customers are still planning to go, they must contact us in advance with their reasons for travel and cover must be agreed by the Underwriters.

Will my policy cover medical treatment for the Coronavirus? And will repatriation be covered?

Yes, you are covered as follows; if you travel to a country that the FCO has not advised against travel to and catch Coronavirus or require medical treatment, then yes cover will be in place for emergency and necessary treatment. Customers should be aware that our policies are travel insurance policies and not private medical insurance meaning that there is no cover for any medical expenses incurred in private medical facilities if we have confirmed that medically capable public facilities are available.

Please contact our Assistance Team if you require medical treatment.

Our policies will provide cover for repatriation (bringing you home) that is medically necessary. Our Assistance Team will liaise with your treating doctor(s) about your treatment plan and if required obtain a ‘fit to fly’ certificate. We also liaise with you and advise on, and put in place, suitable repatriation plans to get you home as soon as it is medically safe to do so in order to achieve your optimal recovery. Our team are unable to make arrangements to repatriate you where it is against local advice, where travel is restricted or where you would pose a risk to other passengers.

Am I covered for cancellation due to the Coronavirus?

Under all Ageas underwritten policies there is ‘specified cause’ cancellation cover, which does not extend to cancellation due to the Foreign & Commonwealth Office advising against travel to a country (or parts of a country).

In the first instance customers with travel booked to areas that the FCO have advised against travel to should contact their airline or tour operator in order to obtain a refund or arrange an alternative holiday.

If I am stuck abroad due to the Coronavirus and cannot come home on my planned return date, will my travel insurance be extended to cover me until I can get home?

Depending on your policy, cover may be extended for the following reasons:

• If you are hospitalised, require medical treatment and are unable to fly.

• If your transport is disrupted or delayed.

• If you cannot return home for any reason beyond your control

If I am quarantined due to the Coronavirus, what cover is in place?

If you are admitted to hospital with the virus your policy will usually provide medical emergency cover and assistance with returning home when you have been discharged.

Please contact our Assistance Team if you are admitted to hospital.

If you are confined to your trip accommodation in a quarantine situation, Ageas policies will not cover any additional accommodation or other additional costs, the local governments and authorities imposing quarantine should be assisting with these costs.

What happens if I arrive at my holiday destination and they refuse entry due to the virus?

If you travel to an area which the FCO advise against travel to, there would be no cover under the travel insurance policies as this would be considered as a known event.

If you travel to an area and the FCO advice changes after leaving home, you should contact your travel agent or tour operator for information on the availability of flights or refunds in the first instance.

If you are refused entry at passport/border control, you should contact your airline or transport provider to arrange changing your return ticket to allow you to come home early.

Will I be covered if I want to cut my trip short due to the Coronavirus?

Travel insurance policies have different terms and conditions regarding what is and what is not covered in regards to cutting short a trip.

This type of event is usually not covered across the travel insurance industry for cutting short a trip. This is because most policies have specific reasons for cutting short your trip and the “fear of an epidemic, pandemic, infection or allergic reaction” is not one of those reasons.

We would advise travellers who have booked package holidays to a destination affected by the viral outbreak and looking to cut your trip short they should contact their travel agent or tour operator for information on the availability of flights in the first instance.

If you are travelling independently from a tour operator or travel agent, you should make your own arrangements to leave by either altering return tickets where possible or booking onto an alternative commercial flight or mode of transport. Claims for independent traveller’s additional expenses in returning home earlier than planned, where medically justified, will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

If I go out on an excursion for the day and then am not allowed back to my travel accommodation (or cruise ship) due to quarantine, what cover do I have?

You should follow any instructions issued by the local authorities as it is more than likely that you will have to enter some form of quarantine.

Traveller’s should contact their travel agent or tour operator for assistance in the first instance.

If I have a stop-over in an area which the FCO advises against travel to, am I still covered?

Yes, but where possible should remain at airport.

Can my policy be changed to suit a ‘new/different’ holiday or trip?

Yes, policy can be transferred to an alternative booking if you are unable to go on your trip, but Tour Operator is happy to transfer holiday to alternative destination/dates.

What can I do with my policy if I am no longer travelling and have received a refund for my holiday?

You may cancel your insurance policy within 14 days of purchase without penalty and we will provide a full refund providing that you have not made a claim during the 14 days. After 14 days, you may cancel the policy at any time but you will not receive a refund.  

Am I covered if I need emergency medical treatment and get sent to a private facility?

This is not a private health insurance policy. The Insurer will pay for private treatment only if there is no appropriate reciprocal health agreement in existence and no public service available and the Insurer reserves the right to organise a transfer from a private medical facility to a public medical facility where appropriate.

If you are taken/or go to a private medical facility, costs that arise will only be covered if you have contacted  the emergency medical assistance company and any treatment has been authorised by them.

Am I covered if I am pregnant?

Yes, cover is provided for complications of pregnancy. Please refer to the meaning of words in the policy wording for the definition of complications of pregnancy and childbirth. Please note that if the due date coincides with the time of travel there is no cover under this policy.

What is a policy Excess?

Most sections of the policy carry an Excess. This is the first amount of any claim that you will have to pay. It is applicable per person per section.

What is a Pre-existing Medical Condition?

1. Any medical condition where you have been prescribed medication, including repeat prescriptions, or received treatment or attended a GP or a specialist as an outpatient or inpatient in the last 2 years or for which you are currently on a waiting list for treatment or investigation, and
2. Any heart, heart-related or circulatory condition; or any respiratory condition; any stress, anxiety, depression or any other psychological condition; any cancerous condition; any undiagnosed symptoms that may require treatment in the future (i.e. symptoms for which you are awaiting investigations/consultations, or awaiting results of investigations, or where the underlying cause of the symptoms has not been established).

If I have a Pre-existing Medical Condition, can I still be covered?

If anyone travelling under this policy meets the criteria for a pre-existing medical condition as defined in the previous question, they must contact the Medical Screening Helpline on 01293 855862 to declare the condition(s) and ensure that we are able to provide cover.

How do I make a claim?

To claim under Section A - Travel Cover, Contact International Medical Rescue calling 02380 177468 or visit, quoting your name and policy number

To claim under Section B - Optional Gadget Cover, Contact Trent-Services (Administration) Ltd on 01285 626020 or email

How many children can I insure on a Family policy?

Up to four dependent children under 18 years of age (in full-time education and residing with lead insured).

What are the Terms and Conditions?

Terms and Conditions are another expression for the Policy Wording. You need to read the Policy Wording carefully because it sets out the cover that you have purchased and also the conditions that you need to meet in order to make a claim.

What are my cancellation rights?

If after reading the policy wording you decide the terms of the insurance contract does not meet your requirements you can, WITHIN 14 DAYS OF THE DATE YOU RECEIVED YOUR DOCUMENTS, return it for a full refund. No refunds will be given for policies cancelled outside 14 days.

What do Winter Sports cover?

Provided you have paid the Winter Sports upgrade, you are covered for: ski equipment, piste closure, avalanche cover, ski pack costs up to the limits shown on the summary of cover. Activities covered are:
  • Cat skiing (with guides)
  • Snow blading (no jumping tricks)
  • Cross country skiing
  • Snow/Ski bobbing
  • Glacier skiing
  • Snow scooting
  • Ice hockey
  • Snow shoe walking
  • Langlauf (cross country skiing)
  • Snow shoeing
  • Monoskiing (not for time trials/speed skiing or racing
  • Snow tubing
  • Skiing on piste
  • Snow blading
  • Skiing or snowboarding off piste (within local ski patrol guidelines)
  • Snow boarding on piste
  • Sledging/tobogganing


Your policy can be extended to cover the following winter sports when you have paid the additional winter sports premium, but no cover will apply in respect of any Personal Accident or Personal Liability claims:

  • Kite snowboarding
  • Snow carting
  • Snow go karting
  • Snowmobiling
  • Skidoo
  • Snowmobile safari

You will not be covered for any claims arising directly or indirectly when engaging in or practising for the following winter sports:

  • Arial skiing
  • Ski bob racing
  • Air boarding
  • Ski jumping
  • Biathlon
  • Ski mountaineering
  • Bobsleigh/Skeleton bobsleigh
  • Ski race training
  • Freestyle skiing
  • Ski racing
  • Heli skiing or heli boarding
  • Ski randonee
  • Ice climbing
  • Ski stunting
  • Ice diving
  • Ski touring
  • Ice fishing by snowmobile (snowmobile driven by guides)
  • Sky yawing
  • Ice fishing by snowmobile (snowmobile not driven by guides)
  • Skiing off piste (outside local ski patrol guidelines/outside recognised and authorised areas)
  • Ice holing
  • Snow biking
  • Ice marathon
  • Snow cat driving
  • Ice speedway
  • Snow kiting
  • Nordic skiing
  • Snow parascending
  • Paraskiing
  • Snowboaring off piste (outside local ski patrol guidelines/outside recognised and authorised areas)
  • Ski acrobatics/aerials
  • Tandem skiing

What do I do if I need medical assistance when travelling?

Please notify the Medical Assistance helpline on 00 44 (0) 2380 644633 about any serious illness or accident abroad where you have to go into hospital or you may have to return home early or extend your stay (you should first check that the circumstances are covered by your policy). Please provide your name and policy number.

Can we travel independently on our Couple/Family travel insurance policy?

Each adult can travel independently on a couple or family travel insurance policy.

How often can I travel on an Annual Multi-trip policy?

The policy lasts for the complete 12 months, and you can take as many trips/holidays as you wish during the year. Any individual trip or holiday must not last longer than 31 days, unless the relevant trip extension has been purchased and is detailed on your certificate of insurance. If a trip is for a longer period you will need to purchase a Single Trip policy for that particular trip. 21 days Winter Sports cover can be added for an additional premium. Please contact Rock Insurance on 0333 200 5146.

How is my policy delivered?

Your policy is emailed directly to your email address shortly after being issued. Please note that some internet providers filter our automated e-mails as SPAM so please check your SPAM/junk folder if the e-mail has not been received. Alternatively your documents can be delivered by post.

Do you offer cover for over 65s?

Yes we do. The maximum age for taking this policy out is 79 at the commencement of the policy for Annual Multi-trips and 85 for Single Trips. However, winter sports option is not available for anyone over the age of 64.

Do you cover non-UK residents?

No, this policy is only available to residents of the United Kingdom.

What products do you offer?

Single Trip policies
Annual Multi-trip policies with maximum trip duration of 31 days
For Individuals, Couples and Families (including Single Parent Family)
Including optional covers for Winter Sports, Cruise Pack and Gadget
Levels of cover are Standard, Premier and Premier Plus

What credit/debit cards do you accept?

We accept Visa, MasterCard, Maestro/Switch, Solo, Visa Electron, Delta and American Express.

What happens if my bag is stolen with all my travel documents and money whilst I am travelling?

You must report theft or losses to the police or relevant authority within 24 hours of the event and obtain a written report. These reports are the only proof that the loss/theft did actually occur. If you leave luggage and personal items unattended in a public place then we cannot be held responsible for any resultant claim. You should always take reasonable care to look after your property and treat it as if it were not insured. There is no cover for cash or valuables left in an unattended vehicle at any time, even if the vehicle is locked.

When do I need to purchase my travel insurance?

At the time of booking your travel arrangements to make sure that you have cancellation cover in place for that particular trip. You cannot purchase a policy if you have already left your home country.

If your travel arrangements change then you must call Rock Insurance immediately on 0333 200 5146. You must be able to provide the correct period of insurance on your documentation in the event of a claim.

What do I need to take on holiday with me?

Please ensure that you take a copy of your certificate of insurance and a copy of the full policy wording - these documents contain important numbers that you may require whilst travelling.

Am I covered for cancellation?

If you have paid the appropriate premium, you are covered for cancellation of your holiday for the reasons stated in the policy wordings. You may be able to claim (subject to the policy terms and conditions) for any travel or accommodation costs that you have either already paid or are contracted to pay, that you cannot reclaim from the tour operator.

What is an Excess Waiver?

If your policy includes the Excess Waiver, you will not need to pay the excess on any claim. The Excess Waiver must be purchased at the time of booking the insurance and cannot be added on later. Please contact Rock Insurance on 0333 200 5146.

What vaccinations do I need?

You should check with your doctor as soon as possible. Your doctor will be best advised to tell you what vaccinations are required, if any.

Can I change my policy?

We can change your policy within 14 days of purchase (except to add on excess waiver), after this you will only be able to make administration changes such as departure / return dates, extend the policy to cover Dangerous Activities or upgrade the benefit levels within the policy. Please contact Rock Insurance on 0333 200 5146.

Which Special Sports and Activities are covered?


What is covered:
Category A sports are automatically covered under your policy. Category B, C and D sports will be covered upon payment of an additional premium. Payment for additional categories includes coverage for all preceding categories (e.g. if you pay Category D you will be covered for A, B and C also) and will be noted on your certificate of insurance.
You are not covered for taking part in any sports or activities unless they are listed below.
Cover for the following activities is included for recreational, amateur purposes only. When participating in your activity you must ensure that it is adequately supervised and appropriate safety equipment is worn/used at all times.

Activity Category Conditions
Abseiling C Must be within organiser’s guidelines
Aerobics A  
Archery A  
Badminton A  
Basketball A  
Bowls A  
Bungee jumping B No Personal Accident cover
Camel/Elephant Riding B  
Camogie B  
Canyoning D  
Cricket A  
Cycling A No Tours. No Personal Liability cover
Cycle touring C  
Deep sea fishing B  
Dog Sledging B  
Dry slope Skiing C  
Fell walking, rambling & trekking A Up to 2,000 metres altitude
Fishing A  
Football A Non-competitive
Go karting B Up to 120cc. No Personal Liability cover
Golf A  
Gymnastics B  
Hang Gliding D  
Hiking A Up to 2,000 metres altitude
Hiking B Between 2,000 and 6,000 metres
Hockey B  
Horse riding D No Polo, Hunting, Jumping or Racing
Hot air ballooning B As a passenger only
Hydro Zorbing B  
Hurling B  
Ice Hockey D  
Ice-skating A Rink only
Land Yachting D  
Martial Arts B Training only
Motorcycling B Over 50cc and under 250 cc - no racing as a rider or passenger when wearing a helmet provided the rider holds an appropriate UK motorcycle licence to ride the motorcycle. No Personal Liability cover
Mountain biking C Excluding competition/racing
Parachuting D Tandem only – no cover for solo
Paragliding C  
Parasailing C  
Parascending A Towed by boat. No Personal Liability cover
Parascending C Over land
Racket ball A  
Rafting, canoeing and kayaking B including white water up to grade 3. No Personal Liability cover
Rafting, canoeing and kayaking C including white water up to grade 4. No Personal Liability cover
Rafting, kayaking and canoeing A No white water
Rambling A  
Roller skating A  
Rounders A  
Rugby B  
Safari B Not involving use of firearms (not walking safari)
Sailboarding C Must be inland waters or coastal waters within a 12 mile limit from land
Sandboarding C  
Sand Yachting C  
Scuba diving A To a depth of 18 metres
Scuba diving D Depth of between 18 and 30 metres if BSAC, PADI, DIWA, SSI or SAA member
Sea Canoeing B  
Show Jumping D  
Skateboarding A  
Snooker, pool and billiards A  
Snorkelling A  
Squash A  
Surfing A No Personal Liability cover
Swimming A Must be undertaken in a pool, inland waters or coastal waters within a 12 mile limit from land
Table tennis A  
Tennis Included  
Trekking B Between 2,000 and 6,000 metres altitude
Triathlon – Road Bike B  
Volleyball A  
Water polo Included No Personal Liability or Accident cover
Water skiing A Must be inland waters or coastal waters within a 12 mile limit from land. No Personal Liability cover
Windsurfing A Must be inland waters or coastal waters within a 12 mile limit from land. No Personal Liability cover
Work Abroad D No Personal Liability or Personal Accident cover. Manual work will be ground level only and no machinery
Yachting, boating, sailing and rowing A Must be inland waters or coastal waters within a 12 mile limit from land. No Personal Liability cover


If you are undertaking a pursuit or activity which is not listed in this policy or are in any doubt as to whether cover will apply, please contact ROCK Insurance on 0333 200 5146.

Will this policy cover me if my Trip has been Dynamically Packaged?

Yes, cover is provided irrespective of how your Trip / holiday has been packaged together.

Buy with confidence

UK Claims & Assistance Helpline
Available 24
hours a day
Up to £10,000,000
cover for medical emergencies
Policy Documentation